Effective Date: September 1, 2020
This Privacy Notice is provided by Variety Wholesalers, Inc., its affiliates, and subsidiaries (the “Company,” “we,” “us,” or “our”). We operate stores under a number of banners: Roses, Roses Express, Maxway, Super 10, Super Dollar, Bill’s Dollar Store, and Bargain Town. We respect your privacy and value the trust you place in us when you use our Website or shop in our stores. This is why we are committed to protecting your privacy and responsibly using the information you share with us to better serve you. This Privacy Notice applies to the Personal Information we collect about our customers in our stores, on our website, www.rosesdiscountstores.com (the “Website”), via mobile apps, social media sites, and through interest‑based online advertising. As used in this Privacy Notice, “Personal Information” means information that identifies or can reasonably be linked to a specific individual, such as name, address, email address, phone number, driver’s license number, or credit card number.
This Privacy Notice describes:
- How We Collect Information
- Information We Collect
- How to Opt-Out of Cookies
- Links to Other Sites
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- Information We Share
- Google Analytics
- External Online Services and Features
- Children’s Privacy
- How We Protect Your Information
- How to Update Your Personal Information
- Contact Us
- Changes to Our Privacy Notice
How We Collect Information
We may collect information from you in a variety of ways:
- When you make a purchase in our stores,
- When you purchase a service, such as layaway,
- When you return or exchange a product you purchased,
- By signing up to receive promotional emails through the Roses Insider program,
- By entering in a promotional sweepstakes or contest, responding to surveys, or participating in a focus group or customer panel,
- If you contact Customer Care,
- When interacting with us in social media,
- By applying for a job, or
- When otherwise interacting with us
- When you visit our Website,
- When visiting our stores we may capture audio, electronic, visual, thermal or similar information with our anti-theft surveillance equipment,
- By location-based features when using your device to access our Website,
- By using the Wi-Fi Services provided in some of our stores, or
- When interacting with pixels and cookies on our Website.
- Analytics Information: We may use third-party analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for our Website. These tools collect information sent by your browser or mobile device, including the pages you visit and other information that assists us in improving our Website and providing you a more personalized experience.
- Device and Browsing Information: We collect certain information about your computer or device each time you access our Website. Servers may automatically record certain log file information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (IP) address, MAC address, physical location data, browser type, referring/exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with our Website, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other similar information.
- Clear Gifs/Web Beacons: We may employ clear gifs (also known as pixel tags or web beacons) which are used to track your online usage patterns. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML‑based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. This information facilitates more accurate reporting and improvement of our Website.
- Location Data: When you access our Website via mobile device, we may access, collect, monitor, and/or remotely store information regarding your mobile device, as well as real-time “location data,” which may include GPS coordinates. Location data may convey to us information about how you browse and use our Website. You may opt-out from allowing us to have access to your location data by adjusting the permissions in your mobile device, though some features of our Website may not function properly if use or availability of location data is impaired or disabled.
- Information We Receive From Third Parties: We may receive information about you from third parties. For example, if you access our Website through a third-party connection or log-in (for example, through Facebook), such third party may pass certain information about your use of its service to us. We may also obtain other Information about you such as change of address, contact information, or demographic information from commercially or publicly available sources.
- Information you provide at our stores may be combined with information that you provide online on the Website, as well as with information about your interests and purchases we collect automatically. The information you provide to us may also be combined with demographic and other information that is available from other sources in order to allow us to better communicate with you and enhance our customer service and your shopping experience.
- We may collect information about you from social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and from our business partners, including online advertising networks and companies that co-sponsor our promotions.
Information We Collect
We may collect certain personal information from you when you visit our Website or shop in our stores. This information may include:
- Identifying information: We may collect your Personal Information such as your name, online identifier, unique personal identifier (such as a device identifier; cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers and similar technology; customer number, unique pseudonym, or user alias; telephone number and other forms of persistent or probabilistic identifiers), mailing address, email address, phone numbers, internet protocol address, driver’s license number, passport number, date of birth, and other similar identifiers.
- Social Media: When you interact with, or if you are a fan/follower of, Roses on social media, we may receive information such as your user ID, handle, your profile picture, photos you post, and other profile elements, including comments. Your use of social media is subject to the terms and conditions and privacy policies of each respective social media platform, and the information you share with us and with others is largely controlled by the privacy settings you have established at those platforms.
- Information You Submit: We may collect preference information, or survey answers/opinions, which you submit to us in connection with various marketing and promotional activities, surveys, contests, or feedback forms conducted in our stores or on our Website.
- Demographic Information: We may collect your education level, income level, birthdate, gender, marital status, number of children and their ages, and zip code.
- Payment information: We may collect your signature, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, billing address, and other financial information.
- Geolocation Data: We may collect precise location information from your device.
- Commercial Information: We may collect information about the products you purchased or considered purchasing from us, as well as your other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Online and Internet Activity: We may also collect your Internet and other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, your internet service provider’s address, information about the browser you are using when visiting our Website or we may look at what website you came from, or what website you visit when you leave ours, other browsing history, information regarding your interaction with websites, applications, or advertisements, and the language and time zone settings on your web browser. Companies acting on our behalf may combine the information collected from your visit to our Website with other information they have collected previously.
- Sensory information: If you visit our stores, we may capture audio, electronic, visual, thermal or similar
How to Opt-Out of Cookies
Your web browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict, reject, or disable certain cookies (but please note that we do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals from web browsers). Additionally, you may opt-out of data collection from the companies that we use to collect information from users of our Website.
We use a company called Google to collect and analyze information about the use of our Website. This information helps us serve relevant advertisements to you on Google, and also helps us to measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. If you have an account with Google, you can manage data and personalization here, otherwise you can manage these settings through your web browser as described above.
Links to Other Sites
In some areas of our Website, we may provide a link to other websites as well as to social media platforms such as Facebook or Twitter (“Linked Sites”). Other websites, including social media sites, have their own policies regarding privacy and security, and these may vary from ours. We are not responsible and have no liability for the privacy policies or practices of Linked Sites. We recommend that you review the privacy policies of each Linked Site you visit.
How We Use the Information We Collect
When we collect information from you, we may use it for a number of purposes, including to:
- Process, manage, complete and account for transactions, including purchases and refund, exchange and layaway requests;
- Provide our products and services to you and fulfill your orders;
- Identify your product and service preferences;
- Improve merchandise selections and customer service;
- Invite you to participate in customer research;
- Notify you about new products, services, features, promotions, events and special offerings in our stores that we think you will find valuable;
- Provide customer support and respond to your requests, comments and inquiries;
- Enroll you in and administer our email programs upon your request;
- Administer your participation in promotions, contests and sweepstakes;
- Verify your identity in certain instances (such as when you pay by check, return merchandise, or request a refund);
- Secure our operations and protect against, identify and help prevent fraud, unauthorized activity, claims and other liabilities and minimize credit risk;
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business, including developing new products and services, managing our communications, performing market research, and administering our Website and mobile apps.
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection. In addition, we use information collected online through automated means for purposes such as: (i) customizing our users’ visits to our Website or experience in a mobile app; (ii) delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse or interact with us; (iii) measuring and managing the advertising effectiveness of our online and offline advertisements and events; and (iv) managing our business. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our Website and mobile apps, identify users of our Website and mobile apps, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine how much time users spend on web pages of our Website and mobile apps, how users navigate through our Website and our mobile apps, and how we may tailor our offerings to better meet the needs of our users. In order for us to maintain the accuracy of your personal information and improve our communication with you, we may also supplement the information we collect with other public demographic information.
Information We Share
We may share your Personal Information among our affiliates. They may use this information to offer products and services to you consistent with the purposes identified in this Privacy Notice. Your Personal Information may also be transferred as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including any transfers made as part of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation) involving the Company or as part of a stock sale or other change in corporate control.
If a contest, sweepstakes, or promotion is jointly-sponsored by us and one or more other sponsors, your information may be shared with such sponsors. We do not control other sponsors’ use of your Personal Information, and their use of your information will be in accordance with their own privacy policies. If you do not wish for your information to be shared in this manner, you may choose not to participate in such jointly sponsored contests, sweepstakes, or promotions. Such offerings may also be subject to additional rules and regulations governing your participation.
We also may share certain Personal Information we collect about you with partners or third parties who perform services for us or with whom we contract for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. For example, we may use third parties to host our websites or mobile apps, operate certain of its features, send e-mails, print or send mailings, run our sweepstakes, contests or other promotions, conduct customer research, authorize and process your payments, manage and analyze data and our advertising effectiveness, and fulfill orders. Such third-party service providers are given the information that they need to perform their designated functions and we do not authorize them to use or disclose your Personal Information for their own or any others’ marketing purposes.
To provide users more choice on how their data is collected by Google Analytics, Google developed the Opt-out Browser Add-on: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
External Online Services and Features
For your convenience and information, our Website may provide links to other online services, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins. These online services and third-party features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by us, we are not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
Our Website is not designed or intended to be used by anyone under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18 (or a minor in the jurisdiction in which you are accessing our Website), do not use the Website, use any interactive features of the Website, or post any Personal Information to our Website. We do not knowingly or intentionally gather Personal information about children who are under the age of 16. If a child has provided us with Personal Information, a parent or guardian of that child may contact us to have the information deleted from our records. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 16, please contact us at [email protected]. If we learn that we have inadvertently collected the Personal Information of a child under 16, or the equivalent minimum age depending on jurisdiction, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible and cease the use of that information in accordance with applicable law.
How We Protect Your Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of your personal information. However, we cannot guaranty the effectiveness of these safeguards, and nothing in this Privacy Notice shall be construed as an express or implied warranty against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
How to Update Your Personal Information
To update your preferences, ask us to remove your Personal Information from our mailing lists or submit a request, you may contact us as described in the Contact Information section. You also may use the following options.
Opt-Out from E-Mail:
You can opt-out of receiving promotional email from us by doing the following:
- If you have received an email from us, you can opt-out from further emails by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” link provided in the email that you received; or
- Contact Customer Care, Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Eastern Time) if you do not want to receive promotional e-mails from us in the future. If you have already received communications from us, it will expedite the opt-out process if you are prepared to provide us with the exact name and email address(es) under which you have been receiving communications from us.
If you have questions regarding our Privacy Notice, or if you wish to update the Personal Information you have provided to us, you may do so by:
Writing to Us at the Following Address:
VARIETY WHOLESALERS, INC.
Attn: Customer Service – Privacy Notice
HENDERSON, NC 27536
Calling Customer Care:
(252) 430-2600 Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our information practices. We will post a prominent notice on the Website to notify you of any significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate when it was most recently updated.